Welcome to my page

Salaam and welcome. I made my pilgrimage in 2012. I wanted to share my experiences and advice - so that those going in future know what to expect, or those who just want to know how I got on!

This blog is a mix of advice and diary excerpts.

Sometimes I was so caught up in the experience I didn't write, other times I was compelled to write. Some pieces will have been written from memory.

Tuesday 20 November 2012

Hand Luggage tips

When travelling - specifically to Hajj I would recommend taking the following items in your hand luggage.

  • Travel pillow - sleep needs to be taken on an as and when basis. The pillow will help you achieve this. Mine made me very comfy draping myself over my suitcase in Cairo!
  • A small towel and bar of unscented soap - in my case I spent days getting to my destination in hot conditions. Taking a shower can really make you feel fresh and human again. Soap has to be unscented to meet the conditions of ihram.
  • fresh underwear, again - this will make you feel better once you have had a shower.
  • Ihram for men and for women i would say take a spare outfit such as leggings and vest top for under your abaya.
  • Sabr!!! Hajj is a test and as I and my travelling companions found the test starts as soon as you leave your front door! You need patience. I suprised myself by having so much more patience than I usually do. You have to really go with the flow.

1 comment:

  1. I am planning insha allah for hajj this year . your blog was helpful in identifying the potential issues. It seems quit a physical drill of endurance and patience, hope Allah will help us in all areas of concern. Did you obtain any spiritual satisfaction at all?
    I am curious to know if there were any hajjis with better bathroom facilities or is it the same for everyone? I have lived in USA for long time and in the northeast it is never as hot, so am afraid of all this heat as well as crowd. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete