When travelling - specifically to Hajj I would recommend taking the following items in your hand luggage.
- Travel pillow - sleep needs to be taken on an as and when basis. The pillow will help you achieve this. Mine made me very comfy draping myself over my suitcase in Cairo!
- A small towel and bar of unscented soap - in my case I spent days getting to my destination in hot conditions. Taking a shower can really make you feel fresh and human again. Soap has to be unscented to meet the conditions of ihram.
- fresh underwear, again - this will make you feel better once you have had a shower.
- Ihram for men and for women i would say take a spare outfit such as leggings and vest top for under your abaya.
- Sabr!!! Hajj is a test and as I and my travelling companions found the test starts as soon as you leave your front door! You need patience. I suprised myself by having so much more patience than I usually do. You have to really go with the flow.